Sunday 23 October 2011

Making & Baking

The new washing machine turned up at 5pm last night and has today been fixed in, had its trial run and is now washing its first proper wash - quite a lot quieter than the last one.

Having made my mincemeat a few weeks ago (adapted from a Delia Smith recipe), I have today baked 12 mince pies. I like to use muffin tins, that way you get a decent amount of filling inside them. Have also made a batch of sloe vodka. Yes, I know, not very frugal but the sloes were free, I already had the sugar and although the Vodka cost £10, I know this drink will last us several years. So all in all I think that is quite good. I made sloe gin 3-4 years ago and it is still being drunk and getting better each year. My mini Christmas puddings have already been made and are in the freezer as the recipe I use (another DS recipe) is very light and they won't keep unless frozen.



Final batch of baking for today was our bi-weekly loaf of bread. This one is made with white flour but I vary the mix, sometimes adding brown, rye or using white and adding a large amount of wheat-germ.

Home made bread is so nice that we only bake it twice a week otherwise we would quite happily get through a loaf every 2 days.

2 comments:

  1. I vary my bread too , by using combinations of different flours and seeds. Those mince pies look mouthwatering.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven`t made bread for some while, now. With the cold winter month looming I should really make some, again. The warmth of the oven will also heat the house much cheaper than putting on the central heating.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you, will read all your comments and try and answer any questions you leave. Please leave comments in English. Don't forget to come back and read my reply! All comments are moderated so if you try to link it to a commercial web site, it will not be published.