Sunday 29 January 2012

Trials and tribulations on the home front


Welcome to my new follower Sandra.

I have now had two unsuccessful attempts at making Portugeuse corn bread. I hate throwing anything away so have given up and instead am going to keep adapting a normal bread mixture (substituting fine cornmeal for bread flour) until I get a loaf that is different to normal.

Yesterday was my first attempt. I normally use 1 lb 2 oz of bread flour but this time substituted 2 oz cornmeal. It handled well, rose well (the other two didn't move) and tasted good. So, next time, I will change 4 oz of flour and see how that goes. Anyway, here is a picture of my first loaf.

I had thawed 7 chicken wings to make into a soup but didn't get around to it so we had them for tea. I tossed them in some flour with paprika, black pepper and garlic salt – did the same with the potato wedges, dribbled with oil and baked at 200 celcius for 45 minutes. They were then served with home made coleslaw. These wings cost £1.15 so I reckon along with everything else, it was good value for money.

This 'going to be' lovely sunny Sunday morning, found me making up a 1/2 quantity of frugal laundry liquid. This time I used all the scraps of soap that had seen better days. I decided to sieve it after the soap melting stage as there were a few bits (garden rubbish?) floating in it. I now store it in milk containers. 

Sometimes it sets as a gel and sometimes it doesn't - works just as well either way. As I never know why or if this is going to happen, I leave 2" – 3" spare at the top so it can be shaken or poked with the handle of a wooden spoon to loosen it to pour. Then I add 200 ml or 1 cup of it to each wash, along with 1 tablespoon of distilled white vinegar for the conditioner. This works out at 1 1/2p per wash for those of you new to home made soap liquid. The recipe for this can be found under my cleaning label on the right.








No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you, will read all your comments and try and answer any questions you leave. Please leave comments in English. Don't forget to come back and read my reply! All comments are moderated so if you try to link it to a commercial web site, it will not be published.