Tuesday 30 October 2012

I never thought the day would come...

It's true! I never thought the day would come, when I would have to admit, that I think I am getting old/older! So, over a couple of days, I thought I would share some of the changes taking place in our household.

Shock, horror, you may well say as I do too. I consider myself middle aged from an age point of view but feel much younger most of the time. However, of late, I have noticed some changes within myself as well as changes needing to be made around the house.

Change 1. At long last, I have given in and bought flannelette sheets for winter. The cotton ones, which are like ice this time of year, have been packed in with the summer duvet and will not see the light of day until the bed gets too warm at night for comfort. This particular change came about after reading Rhonda's blog where she too changes sheets for the winter/summer season.

There are no electric blankets in our house, mainly because I find them too uncomfortable to sleep on. I'm sure I have mentioned before, that where the bed is concerned, I am the princess and the pea! Cotton duvet covers are bad enough in winter, but now the flannelette sheets are in place, the bed is most definitely warmer. A quick blast with the hair dryer before leaping in, and its ready.

Change 2. I am beginning to get arthritis in some finger joints. I noticed something was happening with my hands a few years ago whilst making pastry. As I was rubbing the fat into the flour, some joints felt stiff (a bit like when you wake up with a dead arm in the mornings after sleeping funny). Only 2 joints are slightly affected at the moment, being occasionally uncomfortable rather than painful. They have the beginnings of a mound forming. A couple of other joints in my hands feel tight but are okay at the moment.

I most definitely cannot unscrew jars, as well as I used too, so have bought something to help. As for pulling J rings on cans, it's impossible, without the help of a J shaped pulling device.

Change 3. I used to be able to kneel to wash floors then jump back up without any problems. Whilst I can still do this, I am slower at getting up and my knees are uncomfortable if I kneel for too long. The same applies for gardening as well.

More tomorrow folks. Anyone else of an age where they too are beginning to notice changes?

21 comments:

  1. Every year I think about getting some flannelette sheets but by the time I get a round to looking for them they have sold out......may order some today!
    I have arthritis - rheumatoid but the same will apply to you - you need some gadgets help your hands -

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's amazing how few there are around in shops.

      Delete
  2. I have a lovely round rubber shaped thingy for opening jars, and he's called "screwy louis"!
    I also have noticed age creeping in, but am determined to embrace it....and I love that poem "when I am old I shall wear purple" and am determined to grow old very disgracefully! lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to have one of those but have now changed onto my gadget as I don't have the strength in my wrist to do it with a rubber thing. I also remember to bang the lids on the floor of the jar before attempting to open a new one, it seems to help release the vacuum.

      Delete
  3. It is so important in these years to take as much exercise as possible every day and put your body through a full range of motion. Also to keep your weight in check and not indulge in eating rubbish. Also dental health is important - regular cleanings and flossing everyday and also checking and keeping your blood under control.
    all goes a long way to aging well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We love walking and usually do one long countryside walk a week, plus many smaller local ones. Weight is fine as is dental health etc. Have an annual 'well woman' check each year.

      Delete
  4. I have trouble bending my fingers- I noticed it when sewing a couple of years ago. I just don't have the dexterity in my hands that I used to, they ache in the cold, and like you I don't have the strength to open jars. I had my first cataract surgery when I was 43 and my second at 45 - that made me feel quite old, as did being diagnosed with a heart condition usually seen in women of 60-70 years old. It's like I'm ageing on the inside far more rapidly than I am on the outside - I have very few lines on my face despite losing weight. I feel the cold more than I used to, but that may be connected to losing over 3 stones of fat that used to insulate me, so I bought a couple of thermal vests and a long sleeved thermal t-shirt and they keep me toasty warm.What worries me is this government's expectation that people can work for longer and longer - J has a physical job, and the thought of him having to do that until he is almost 70 is ridiculous.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haha, I have some flanalette bedding! I haven't put it on yet, but now that I think about it.....
    I am am still having a lot of stiffness with the little finger that I broke earlier this year, I hope that doesn't turn into an arthritic joint one day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Breaks do take a long while to get over, especially the stiffness side. The great 'they' in the sky often say that arthritis will affect a broken joint but who knows. To my knowledge, I have never had a broken bone - yet - gulp... Glad to hear you have flannelette bedding as well!

      Delete
  6. All of the above! Especially the knees. I have a back problem so have gardened on my knees for many years, they are now complaining.
    We swapped to our flannel sheets about a month ago. Still prefer a cotton pillowcase though.
    Just not as 'strong' as I used to be but very thankful no major health worries.
    Carol xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too regarding the back, and knees. Yes, a cotton pillowcase is also in use.

      Delete
  7. Noticed changes about 10 years ago. They slowly got worse over the years. My knees joints are creeking, and are very stiff in the morning. I get out of bed and try to go downstairs. That`s when I feel the stiffness the most. I can`t kneel more than 2 minutes and can hardly get up afterwards without pain. Arthritis is kept to a minimum for now, but will get worse as time goes on. Another change I had happening is deterioration of eye sight. It gets worse every year. I`m off to see the opticians on Saturday afternoon and have agreed to have varyfocal glasses for the future. I know I`m getting old.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think part of growing old is to acknowledge problems and deal with them, which is what you certainly seem to do.

      Delete
  8. we must be twins as that is happening to me as well. Also can you go through the night without getting up to go pee?

    We have flannel sheets over here from October through to the beginning of May, dh feels the cold something awful.

    Gill

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to get up once or twice but my sleep has deteriorated so am often awake until 2am. Once I do get off, I stay asleep thank goodness.

      Delete
  9. Oh yes all of the above for me too. We have just decided to put the electric blanket on the next sheet change (thursday) our blanket is like a fitted sheet and much better than the old fashioned ones you had to tie onto the bed. Every morning we get up and say we have another ache or pain as we stagger to the bathroom lol my fingers are starting to stiffen up and my frozen shoulder is agony sometimes. I suppose its all part and parcel of getting older, I'm 57 in a couple of days but still think I'm 18!! although the mirror tells me different :-)

    Karen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember going to visit my blind mother in law, to have coffee and she was up on a stool sorting out the top of her cupboards, by feel. She was 97 at the time.

      Delete
  10. Yes, I feel the effects of advancing years, mostly in lack of strength, things I used to pick up one-handed without effort are sometimes now beyond me. Also find it hard to get motivated, and tire easily.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it is hard to acknowledge it all but we need to listen more to our bodies and do what they want sometimes. Also, as a carer, it is even more difficult.

      Delete
  11. I am at the stage where I need to be cooler in bed, hot flushes etc!! But I am experiencing some of points 2 and 3. I guess it is due to age and I am not willing to admit I am as old as I am!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't have that problem much thank goodness.

      Delete

I love hearing from you, will read all your comments and try and answer any questions you leave. Please leave comments in English. Don't forget to come back and read my reply! All comments are moderated so if you try to link it to a commercial web site, it will not be published.