Saturday 6 April 2013

Google reading list to close and Beechgrove Gardening Programme

Welcome to my new followers Janice Piper and L. Hart. It looks like someone else has joined but at the moment, I can't seem to find you - sorry!

Having read a few blog's this morning, it would seem that Google is getting rid of its reader list. This allows you to follow other blog's by adding them to your reading list. I have no idea whether Googoe+ or Google+ Follower, is their replacement but either way, it seems their reading list way of doing things will be shutting down this July - see here

Several of the blog's I read are now signing up to this 'reader' here If someone has signed up to this would they please leave a comment to let me know the following: How does it let you know about updates? and can you join new blogs as a follower using this new reader.

If anyone has signed up to Google+ and/or Googl+Follower, can you also let me know if it is a hassle to do so and do they know if it is a new way to follow blogs?

Thanks for any help. I would not only like to know for myself but also to pass on any info gleaned to those who are currently asking me!

Now for something different. Can you remember last year I let you know about the Scottish Beechgrove Gardening programme I found on BBC Scotland. Well, it is now coming onto BBC2 starting this Sunday 7th April at 09:30am. I am beginning to find Gardener's World a bit annoying and found this programme far better and a lot more informative.

7 comments:

  1. Hi Dc - re Bloglovin, once you have set it up

    Go to your Bloglovin page and click on your username - you should see a drop down list of stuff.

    There are options to select how often you get updates via email also like Google reader you can see what you have read on the main list of your blog feed.

    You can join new blogs, but only if they, too have Bloglovin - otherwise you will have to join via Google reader and then repost them across ( there is an easy to use button which imposts you blogs into Bloglovin from Google reader.

    It is very similar in action to Google reader.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm doing a 'head in the sand' response to Google Reader's disappearance.
    I caught Beechgrove Garden the other evening, found BBC Scotland on the digital channels. It was excellent, their 35th Anniversary and one presenter is an 'original'. I gave up Gardener's World after Geoff Hamilton died, looked in a couple of times since but didn't take to it. Great to find a good gardening programme after all this time.
    Carol xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do so love Beechgrove, far better than the current bit by bit drip feed style of Gardener's World. I only really watch it now for Carol and Nigel (Monty's dog)!

      Delete
    2. Agree re Carol (haven't seen the dog but I'm sure I'd like him!) met her at Harrogate Flower Show years ago and I really rate her. Now if she had the main Presenter's job on GW I would tune in.
      Carol xx

      Delete
  3. I am a bit confused about this....will it effect my blog DC? Sorry to be a pain and ask.

    Sft x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think so but I can't seem to find an answer on Google help. All I can glean so far is that when we first sign in, our reading list (the blog update page that first appears) or (the blog roll on the left, that we add new blogs to, won't be there). I'm assuming that when we view our blog's, our favourite blog's (and their updates) will still show so we can still catch up. How we become new follower's of new blog's I can't grasp unless it is something to do with the Google+Follow gadget that we can add! I understand that bloglovin displays your blog roll and sends you emails to let you know when the blogs you are following update (a bit of a pain getting so many emails). I guess for now, until I can fathom out more, we will have to wait and see or join something like bloglovin. I'll keep trying to find out.

      Delete
  4. Dc I am so glad you have put this on your blog - I will do likewise and see how many answers we can garner to get some consensus. I just want a substitute which works in the same way!!

    Will have a gander at Beechgrove but 'himself' will be out so largely wasted I fear, as he is the gardener!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you, will read all your comments and try and answer any questions you leave. Please leave comments in English. Don't forget to come back and read my reply! All comments are moderated so if you try to link it to a commercial web site, it will not be published.