Tuesday 9 July 2013

Remembering a summer dessert from school...

First of all, welcome to my new and re-newed followers via bloglovin, Lori, Regina and Ramona.

When I was at senior school, one of the puddings we got, just once a year, was a strawberry and custard tart. I couldn't remember whether it was filled with blancmange, tinned or fresh custard but it was lovely and we all waited eagerly for it to appear. Mind you, can't really think it would have been fresh custard, far too expensive to feed 800 or more pupils!

For 2 years, at least, I have been telling DB that one day, I would make it and now I have. First of all I made pastry and baked it blind (line with baking paper and beans or whatever you have). Remember to remove the pastry half way through to finish cooking the pastry. The case needs to be cooked through and cold.

Spread a thin layer of jam over the bottom (I only had a jar of crab apple at the time and it wouldn't spread so I tried melting it - hence the lumpy look). Place strawberries on top leaving a small gap between them - you can place them closer if you wish, I only had a few. Leave small strawberries whole and halve or quarter larger ones.
Whilst (or before) the pastry is baking, make up 1 pint of custard, slightly thicker than normal, the same way you would for trifle. I used custard powder with the inside of half a vanilla bean. Once cooked, transfer to a large bowl, cover the surface with cling film and leave to go cold or place in a bowl of cold water to help.

Once cold, give it a good stir and pour it over the strawberries. Leave to set in the fridge. Should look something like this,
We sliced this into six and ate one slice each over three days. Not quite the same as I remember so I think they must have made it with vanilla blancmange - ah well, there is always next time.


15 comments:

  1. Your tart looks delicious........I may have to try this one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi
    mmmh it looks very good!!!!!
    have a nice evening,
    regina

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh, I remember something like that for our school puddings. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We did enjoy it, might make another one.

      Delete
  4. Your school recipe sounds like a strawberry clafoutis - see if this looks familiar

    http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/strawberry-clafouti-10000001598629/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Had a look but definitely not that but thanks anyway. Was just as I described except either custard or blancmange.

      Delete
  5. Mmmm, I like the look of that. Have lots of strawbs growing and some cheats sweet pastry in the freezer, well it was reduced. Will have a go at that I think.
    Xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My strawberries are just about to finish but might just have enough for another one!

      Delete
  6. Your summery tart looks delicious. We had something like that at school called Manchester Tart and that was pastry case with raspberry jam sliced peaches then custard and a blob of cream on the top, it was one of my favourites. The bakery shop where I worked did one similar but they used sliced bananas.

    My strawberry plants have done quite well this year to say they had been uprooted and replanted into tubs, there are plenty fruits on still to ripen.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That looks really yummy, and I'm sure you enjoyed it :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ah school dinners - I remember them well and have often tried to re-create a chocolate crunch dessert that I loved. Never quite got it right though. Your tart looks absolutely gorgeous DC and guess it was well worth the wait.
    Patricia x

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you, will read all your comments and try and answer any questions you leave. Please leave comments in English. Don't forget to come back and read my reply! All comments are moderated so if you try to link it to a commercial web site, it will not be published.