Wednesday 9 October 2013

Me and my baby!

Welcome to my new follower Gail Wilkinson.

Can you remember a few months ago I mentioned having an emergency appointment with the doctor as I was having a prolonged episode of tachycardia?

Well, quite a bit has happened since then. I have noticed recently, that I can't walk quickly, continue to talk and breathe at the same time, without stopping to catch my breath and my sighing appeared to be coming more frequently. Back I went.

He ran some simple visual tests in the surgery for LVF (left ventricular heart failure), took bloods, had another quick ECG and blood pressure done. All were fine. He then asked (not sure if this is a new 'collaboration' policy or just our relationship) what I would like to do next as he was suggesting beta-blockers and I wasn't too sure. In the end, I requested and he arranged for a 24 hour ECG to be done.

Three weeks later it was fitted. Not at all uncomfortable but a little inconvenient to carry around. It was okay when I was dressed as I could attach it to my trousers. Night time attire was a different matter!

Eventually, it was time to go to bed and I managed to not get too tangled up in the leads as I got into my nightie (I had to bend forward all the time so the monitor didn't fall on the floor - not easy!). We quickly realised that with the amount of tossing and turning I do in bed, there was no way the leads were going to stay attached, let alone the recording device!

We tried bit of sheeting, bandages, all manner of things but nothing would keep it in place. By now, being tired and irritated, wondering if I was ever going to get to bed, the whole thing was losing its appeal.

Eventually, I remembered I had some fleece and we cut a large swathe of it and formed it into a papoose. Two safety pins later and all was done. It stayed in place, was comfortable, didn't jiggle when I turned over but I was a little hot as it was a warm night.

This is me with my baby!
Now, three weeks later, the results are in and I have been referred to the cardiology department as it showed quite a few episodes of tachycardia with arrhythmia and a high resting pulse. Well I could have told the machine that, so onward and upwards - watch this space!

8 comments:

  1. Ingenious. I've had one of those a couple of times and they're not the most comfortable of things to sleep in. So pleased to hear that you have been referred. Let's hope they get to the bottom of what's causing it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Doubt much will get done on my first visit but I aim to push as far as necessary to get it sorted if possible.

      Delete
  2. Sounds a worrying time but good luck and keep us posted! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh dear DC I do hope you'll get this sorted soon. I must be honest I don't really know what tachycardia is although I've heard of it and guessed it must be heart related. Hopefully this will be easy to treat and you'll soon be back to normal. Take care.
    Patricia x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tachycardia is a fast heart rate of more than 100 beats per minute. Mine will often go up to 140 just walking to the kitchen to make a cup of tea or making the bed! I don't usually notice that too much physically but when it gets between 180 and 200 or more, then my chest feels like it will burst.

      Delete
  4. Lets hope it is all sorted out soon for you.Such a worry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Due up at the hospital soon so fingers crossed.

      Delete

I love hearing from you, will read all your comments and try and answer any questions you leave. Please leave comments in English. Don't forget to come back and read my reply! All comments are moderated so if you try to link it to a commercial web site, it will not be published.