Saturday 12 October 2013

New Page added and look!


A few questions have been asked about some of the meals/baking we ate during our 'war years' and many of which we still eat today. Some I can't remember, other than the ones mentioned in the diary, as most were from my head. I have decided to show some of those we still eat (plus new ones we are trying) from my myriad of war time cook books and let you see what they look like.

With that intention, I have created a new page entitled Wartime Cooking. I hope you enjoy reading it. Printing recipes is a little dicey because of copyright (and I have asked but not yet received permission). With that in mind, if I can find them elsewhere on the internet, where they may have permission (such as cooking sites or newspaper articles) I have linked to them.

Otherwise, I shall print the recipes until told otherwise or you can buy the books - usually for 1p plus postage off a well known book internet site!

Also, some people have been asking where you can buy dried egg powder from. Tesco used to sell Supercook 140g tub Whole Dried Egg but they were bought out by Dr. Oetker, who still sell dried egg white but no longer sell dried whole egg.

However, I have at last found a few companies supplying them in bulk on-line. Just type in dried whole egg powder and see what comes up for your particular area of the world.

Yes, at first glance, this large bag might not appear to be cheap, but once divided by the required amount (see below) it works out about the same as the original Supercook tubs.

This is the 1kg bag I bought this time.
It was decanted into 7 x 1 person's monthly ration sized bags weighing 140g
These were put into a zip lock bag and placed in the freezer - it is freeze dried to begin with by the producer.  The one in use is stored in the fridge. You of course, should you decide to buy and use it, can do as you wish.

All the time we were on rations, we never used it for cooking instead of an egg for things such as scrambled egg, quiches, puddings etc, but it does apparently work well once you get used to the taste. Might have to give some of those recipes a go now we have it back in stock!

We mainly use it for baking whereby 1 absolutely level tablespoon of powder is mixed with 2 tablespoons water to make up 1 egg. Never add more powder than this or it tastes foul - excuse the pun.

However in baking, I would normally sieve the dried egg into the flour and add the water at the end.




8 comments:

  1. You can dehydrate and can your own eggs for future use. I have done some for my stores. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for that info. I don't have chickens so don't have my own eggs or a canner. This was more to show what would happen in war time when dehydrated eggs came in from the USA, and everyone, other than those with chickens, was lucky if they got one fresh egg per fortnight! I believe only the W. I. had access to canners for making huge batches of jam for winter use.

      Delete
  2. I love war time cookbooks. My favorite at current is Coupon Cookery by Prudence Penny.

    We buy powdered eggs for a lot of our baking and I use them to make homemade mixes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When you say home made mixes, do you mean quiches etc?

      Delete
    2. I make pancake mixes, cake mixes, cookie mixes, etc. I use them instead of buying mixes. I find I am much more apt to make pancakes for example if I have the ingredients all ready....just having to add water or pany addi ins.

      I do have a breakfast casserole recipe using powdere eggs. Would you like it?

      Delete
  3. I have the recipes ready. Do you have a generic email address to send them to? I can give you mine if you like.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you can let me have your email as a comment, I shall of course make sure it is not revealed. Thanks.

      Delete

I love hearing from you, will read all your comments and try and answer any questions you leave. Please leave comments in English. Don't forget to come back and read my reply! All comments are moderated so if you try to link it to a commercial web site, it will not be published.