Thursday 16 January 2014

I'm not quite sure ...

Why I've been saving all our old clothing/material over the years. Some was/is towards making rag rugs (got to make one for DS and FDil!), other stuff for when I get around to attempting quilting - something I have been wanting to do for years.

Anyway, this is the year.

I think I shall start with something small, maybe a knitting needle case. If that comes off, hopefully I shall be inspired to try something else.

A quilt for the bed eventually would be my goal. At the moment I am not thinking of using batting?, just a patchwork front, then a sheet (or blanket) attached to the back for extra weight and warmth.

We do have a spare bedroom (DS's bedroom when he lived at home - though somehow it seems wrong to use it, but we are going to now) which only gets used every now and then when they visit. I just need to find a decent, fold away table, at the correct height to put my sewing machine on. We already have a largish (A3) green cutting mat, rotary cutter and decent scissors. Also got quite a few cottons, buttons etc.

DB very kindly lugged all the containers of trousers, shirts, pants, tee shirts, bedding etc from the attic. He looked exhausted but proud with his efforts, and we had to laugh at what appeared to be a mountain of cloth!

Haven't really thinned it out much but they are now divided into types of material for when we get around to using it. I don't have much cotton material in the colours that I would like so shall have to search some out or maybe dye some of the cream material we have lots of - oh, just remembered I have 2 tablecloths I no longer use in blue so that will help. I still would like to get/create some light purple and sage though. I could also look for some old shirts or something similar from a charity shop.

Top left is a small container full of pants (knickers). I know what size I need and usually buy them in packs of 5. However, as you can't return them once used/tried on, they end up in there. Isn't it amazing how the same size varies so much in different shops! They will work well as decoration or cut up for use as small bits in a rag rug.

I have promised him that if this time next year, it is all still up there and hardly used, it will go to charity shops or textile bins:)

Welcome to my new follower via Bloglovin - Lyn Gill

6 comments:

  1. Good luck with your quilting DC and hope to see some results soon. Thank you for your comment on my last post and for your suggestion to take photos of all the paraphernalia I pack away in the loft. Excellent idea - why didn't I think of that! Have a lovely weekend. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our photograph gets looked at often when we need something.

      Delete
  2. I attached the quilt top I made for KL to a large fleece blanket. It is super snuggly and warm and was cheaper than buying batting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, if I ever get around to it, I had thought of a fleece but was worried by the fact it has a one way stretch to it?

      Delete
  3. Drooling at all that fab fabric there Dc - good luck in your endeavours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is some nice stuff in there but think I might have a go at dying some of it.

      Delete

I love hearing from you, will read all your comments and try and answer any questions you leave. Please leave comments in English. Don't forget to come back and read my reply! All comments are moderated so if you try to link it to a commercial web site, it will not be published.