Tuesday 24 March 2015

Shopping

It has dawned a lovely day here and although the general weather forecast says rain after lunch, the on-line one mentions nothing about rain - very confusing!

After coming home from shopping, washing has gone on the line and hopefully will get dry before any rains comes, if it does.

This morning we visited Lidl where we got food plus spare cupboard top up's which came to £29.47. Off then to Pound-land where I needed a few things like foil containers (12 for £1) plus things we couldn't get in Lidl, so £13 was spent there, mainly on toiletries and sundries. Finally, we headed to Mr. T., somewhere we haven't been for months to finish getting a few food items but mainly sundries, after handing in loads of cash vouchers, the final shop came to £8.21. That is a total so far this month (our months work 24th - 23rd) of £50.68.

Toiletries should do us now for 1 - 2 months, some things longer, spare cupboard is topped up again and other than fresh food when needed, we hope this month will again be economical.

I wanted the foil containers so I can make a double batch of macaroni cheese, use one portion each then freeze 6 portions. Rather than top each dish with fresh tomatoes, I have some in the freezer which will be used on top of those being frozen - still with me? Things like curry, chilli etc usually go in the reusable containers saved over years from Chinese takeaways as they don't need to be oven heated.

DDL starts her new full time job in April, working for the same people as DS. Although their hours will be slightly different, it will be quite an adjustment on being able to prepare meals in advance. They will be getting up very early to exercise the dogs, organise packed lunches etc. before their 2 hours drive to work. Rather than a 2 hours drive home then eating, they hope to get themselves sorted out enough to eat before leaving work - home cooked food mind so they don't increase their shopping bill.

It is such a joy to see the next generation of your family endeavouring to be financially savvy on the shopping/living front:) They are hoping to move this year, closer to their work place to save such a long daily journey. At least now, they can share the driving.

Our menu tab at the top, has been updated, to reflect Week 12.




11 comments:

  1. A 2 hour commute would be my idea of Hell! I do hope they are able save to move closer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too on both accounts. Got to do it though until they can move.

      Delete
  2. My daughter is a medical rep and is very dependant on the A12 and free flowing traffic. Her husband works 2 hours away too. They have to have backup plans in place incase they're both caught in traffic

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not nice is it, such long travelling and a waste of tIme in a way when they could be doing something else.

      Delete
  3. Well done with the shopping. I've been pricing up what I need for the month online today, and it's looking good for the under £50 target. Anything saved is going towards another little adventure.
    I feel their pain with the commute - I had a long one when I first started uni and K used to do 4 hours a day commuting on public transport then go home and do lesson planning/ marking. Fortunately she now gets a lift whch pleases me no end as she sometimes looked like the walking dead she was so exhausted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heavens knows how much fresh stuff will cost for the month but hopefully not too much! I don't know how they will both cope but hope they can get ready to move quickly.

      Delete
  4. 2hrs commute? sod that for a bunch of soldiers, just something that would drive finally over the edge DC
    John

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would hate it but you have to go where the jobs are. I think they might move a few times eventually.

      Delete
  5. that is awful a 2 hour commute. Does someone come in through the day to let out the dogs?

    ReplyDelete
  6. A dog walker comes in every day so they get company and they get a run am and pm, seem to sleep for the rest of the time!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just popping in to say thanks for replying to my comment the other day when I asked what your art work was. Wow, I'm impressed, I can see now the musical notes! I wondered if you had watched the TV series, home in time for dinner, where they go back to the rations and food from the 50's onwards? I thought it was really good as I had no idea, only what I've read on your blog and to see the old kitchens was a real eye opener. All the best. X

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you, will read all your comments and try and answer any questions you leave. Please leave comments in English. Don't forget to come back and read my reply! All comments are moderated so if you try to link it to a commercial web site, it will not be published.