Wednesday 7 October 2015

'Preserving' something for future use

Essexgran, please send your address so I can post you your Sunbonnet Sue book!

I have no idea is this is okay to do or not but as it is a hair product and not meant for consumption thought I would give it a go!

As you may remember from previous posts, I am trying to 'clean up' products used on our hair and body. We finally settled on a shampoo and conditioner from a company (you will find their details on my Beauty Product tab - second company).

However, by the end of this month, being natural and having no preservative in them, they need to be discarded. I really don't know why I didn't think about preserving them for later use when they first arrived but ho hum.

I only use the conditioner maybe one wash in three and really did not want to throw away nearly 3/4's of a bottle so came up with this solution - freezing in large drops that look like while chocolate - must remember to label the box:

All I have to do now is pick one out, pop it into an egg cup to thaw, then use - hopefully:)

The next shampoo when we order it, will have half of it decanted into another container and frozen. Hopefully once thawed and shaken, might be okay to us.

14 comments:

  1. They look just like the little discs of whipped cream that I make and freeze whenever I see double cream at a good price. Careful labeling is a must ;-). Good idea though and I can not think that it will not work, as you say you will probably have to shake the shampoo up as it may well separate as it thaws.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, frozen whipped cream. Do you whip then freeze, are they a good consistency when thawed? Must try that.

      Delete
  2. Never thought of conditioner going bad. Seems like a good idea and I'm interested to see how it turns out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is a totally natural conditioner. Normal conditioner has chemical preservatives in it.

      Delete
  3. DO label the box - last week I served up what I thought were '2 chicken and mushroom pasties' from the freezer [with mash, sweetcorn and gravy] and when we cut into them, they turned out to be apple turnovers!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha:) Still probably nice to eat though.

      Delete
  4. Fascinating to see your frozen conditioner, Dc! Good idea. I wonder if you could keep the unfrozen stuff in the fridge? Not that it matters where you keep it, but it would be ready to use right away. Did you have a conversation with the suppliers? I'm surprised there wasn't something on the label. However it is all trial and error isn;t it, when you make the decision to buy away from the mainstream. Lx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It and the shampoo have been kept in the fridge from the start so the shampoo might be okay for longer. It does say on the bottle use up in 3 months of opening but does that mean when I open it or when they decant it? I think I might email them for clarity.

      Delete
    2. I'd have thought it means after you have opened it. How would you know otherwise? Lx

      Delete
  5. Great idea. I freeze all sorts of things so as not to waste them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is my go to method if I am not sure about anything.

      Delete
  6. Have you tried no shampoo....massage your hair and scalp with baking soda, rinse, and then rinse with vinegar or lemon juice...keep meaning to try it. I make my own soap with lye and oils/butters....really fantastic and very easy. I slowly collected the necessary items and read books..... it does nt have to be hugely expensive.........never looked back and homemade soap make wonderful gifts.. I dont think your conditioner would go bad...the company are just covering themselves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I did, no good for me though, just dried my hair out too much. I think you are right about the company possibly covering themselves. I love their stuff so shall stick with it. Might think about soap making in the future.

      Delete

I love hearing from you, will read all your comments and try and answer any questions you leave. Please leave comments in English. Don't forget to come back and read my reply! All comments are moderated so if you try to link it to a commercial web site, it will not be published.