Wednesday 2 December 2015

GF Oat Biscuits

Feeling in the need for some biscuits (like you do on occasions), I searched the internet for some recipes that both looked and sounded good.

The first one I tried was from Tesco recipe page (oops, advertising!) You can find it here

I only had normal jumbo oats (not normal sized or GF), so used those. I also halved the cinnamon and added 1/2 oz less sugar as we don't like things over sweet. Finally, the baking time was extended to 15 minutes as that is how long our oven took to bake them.

As ours came out a different colour, we wondered how they got their biscuits to look so brown. I think maybe 190C next time, see if that makes a difference.

I know, I KNOW:) You are supposed to follow these recipes the first time but I couldn't help myself, I just like to twiddle.

They may taste different with different flour made up, this used a bought GF flour.

Anyway, they said it makes 35 but as they didn't give what size cutter to use, I used a 2" one and got what you see below (minus one we tested):
Once cold, we tested the missing one on its own. It was very crisp, slightly dry on the tongue due to the GF flour but tasty nonetheless. When we make them again, we shall use mixed spice rather than cinnamon, and brown sugar rather than white and see what happens!

How long they will stay crisp we don't yet know. They say they will keep well in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks. We shall be offering them on our next walking day so doubt they will last 2 weeks.

10 comments:

  1. They must have used a small cutter to get 35 biscuits!!

    I might be a bit weird but I LIKE pale biscuits ... pale crisps, pale chips etc

    ReplyDelete
  2. He he...yes you always need a few extra for testing purposes! I've been had what I thought were gluten issues...but homemade cooking doesn't seem to have the same nasty effects as boughten so perhaps it's some other nasties in our food that doesn't agree with me...teach me to always cook our own though! J. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your changes to the recipe are improvements I would have thought

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, you would need a very small cutter! xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wonder if the extra cinnamon makes them browner? But as Sue says above, I prefer pale biscuits anyway!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You could taste the cinnamon with the quantity halved!

      Delete

I love hearing from you, will read all your comments and try and answer any questions you leave. Please leave comments in English. Don't forget to come back and read my reply! All comments are moderated so if you try to link it to a commercial web site, it will not be published.