Wednesday 16 December 2015

Ice Cream for Christmas!



Presents are all bought, as is the drink and extra food items. GF baking is almost but not quite finished - still got to tackle normal and GF pork pies!

We have so much fruit in the freezer, some from 2014, so decided to thaw some blackberries. They were cooked, pureed, sweetened until just the pleasant side of tart, then strained and pushed through a sieve to remove the pips - I hate pips in ice cream. We wanted 5 fl. oz for this particular ice cream, which was what we ended up with, so that was lucky!

We made our chosen ice cream base, have several that we use - stirred in the puree and froze:
If you make a custard or yoghurt base, you probably need an ice cream maker, which we have. If you don't have one, you could try recipe that we sometime use. It is a no churn Mary Berry recipe from here.

We also made a different one, with Bailey's, but it is not quite so light in texture and some of the Bailey's has sunk to the bottom - which will be a nice surprise when we get down to it. The picture below looks different because we investigated it:



10 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. They both taste lovely although as expected, the Bailey's one is a different texture.

      Delete
  2. Lovely, I love ice cream this is one thing I will be trying to make in the new year x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We don't eat too much but always prefer home made.

      Delete
  3. Hello, I've been a long time regular reader of your blog, although this is the first time I comment. I find most of your recipes lovely and I regularly use your bread making method (we only eat bread once a week so we prefer freshly made from scratch, no compromise on that). Thank you for reminding me of this method of making ice-cream, an ice-cream making machine is one of the kitchen gadgets that I can't quite justify (would take up too much space in a small kitchen and would not be used often enough) and my small son LOVES ice cream. However, do you have an alternative to suggest for using raw eggs? We don't have our own (living in a big city) and even with organic free range, I am still afraid to feed raw egg to a young child (I think pregnant women are also advised against eating raw eggs). I did use this recipe in the past and loved the results (made choc chip and mint), but I can't make it for my son :(.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These are all vegan no churn recipes, maybe something might be suitable, and you could probably substitute cream for coconut milk
      http://theprettybee.com/2014/07/32-churn-vegan-ice-cream-recipes.html

      Delete
  4. Homemade icecream with your own berries - now that is a real treat !

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks great, though I only ever eat ice cream when it's very hot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too usually but some will top hot steamed puds so that might count!

      Delete

I love hearing from you, will read all your comments and try and answer any questions you leave. Please leave comments in English. Don't forget to come back and read my reply! All comments are moderated so if you try to link it to a commercial web site, it will not be published.