Tuesday 8 December 2015

Our First GF Pie!

Welcome to Di via Bloglovin.

Having achieved a good result in the GF pastry making department (using just bought in GF flour), I thought I would try making us 2 small corned beef hash pies for tea. Here is the filling of boiled potatoes, corned beef and onion:
Without thinking, I only made the trial amount of pastry (4oz flour, 2oz fats) so there was not enough to give a full lid:
I had lightly greased 2 individual enamel tins with fat and dusted with the flour, it came out quite easily and more importantly, stayed standing. We had it with some beans:
I have been doing a lot of reading on-line regarding the various GF flours, what they are classed as, what they contain, how best to use them etc and I plan to make myself a little chart. The reason for this is a newly arrived order from a company called Real Foods here.
 
When we went over to King's Lynn, we popped into The Spice Market in Gaywood, on the outskirts of the town. Here I found other things I wanted at a very cheap price.
I had garnered information before ordering and chose from them, items I knew would not be available elsewhere.  Now I am set to experiment further:

We have almost finished the GF oat biscuits made the other day, even our walking buddy E. tried them and siad they were good. They did stay crisp as well but are now nearly gone:(

12 comments:

  1. I'm really impressed - the pies look lovely and the fact that the pastry has held its shape is great. I'm enjoying following your experimenting :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I am enjoying experimenting.

      Delete
  2. I'm really enjoying reading about all your GF efforts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Not too bad once you get going.

      Delete
  3. How was the crust taste? Did it have a nice pastry texture or was it crumbly like a lot of GF bakery I've tried? I can get tons of GF mixes/products here but 99% disappoint. You seem to be having some good luck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My normal pastry has always been light and this is very similar. Tastes good and most people can't tell the difference. Haven't tried any bought gf as I prefer to make it.

      Delete
  4. I am most impressed. Are you allowed to say what brand of flour you used? I'd also really appreciate your recipe.
    I am coeliac and have flour on prescription. I can' tune this for other people so if I make a pie for others I tend to do without. It would be great to be able share the same pie and be like all the other boys and girls! So far I have failed dismally when I've used shop bought flour.
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This flour was Dove plain flour. I have also made pastry using Asda plain flour. The pastry recipe was the one I used for mince pies minus the orange zest. 18th November was the date I think. I have yet to make it with flours of my mixing.

      Delete
    2. Thanks so much. I'm sorry but I think you'll get another comment from me asking the same question! This is the first comment I have ever made with goggle and I thought it hadn't posted. Will try harder next time. I have read and enjoyed your blog for ages.
      Sue

      Delete
    3. A comment doesn't arrive on my blog until I approve it, other blogs have instant posting of comments so that might be what happened.

      Delete
  5. I'm sure your Christmas guest will be really grateful for the time and effort that you're putting into helping her feel included at Christmas. Would it be possible to share the type of flour you use and your recipe for the GF pastry?
    I'd be very grateful as most of my efforts have ended up feeding the seagulls rather than my
    family or friends!
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The flour doesn't pull together as well as normal flours but I just keep working it, getting my ball larger as I go. I don't think you can over work it, but better to use the warmth of your hands to work it rather than adding more liquid, little extra fluid seems to be the key. I have been gluten free since trialling and some of my long term problems have eased, so far! I'll try taking pictures as I go next time and post them on here.

      Delete

I love hearing from you, will read all your comments and try and answer any questions you leave. Please leave comments in English. Don't forget to come back and read my reply! All comments are moderated so if you try to link it to a commercial web site, it will not be published.