Monday 1 August 2016

Shoe Cupboard

First of all, welcome to Lorraine Brierley via here. The shoe box is now about finished. It started life as per this post here. Today it looks like this:
  Inside:
DB has since put a good dollop of blue shoe polish on my garden shoes so they don't show up quite so much. The inside bit stores his overalls and outdoor working shoes. I could have put my shoes inside as well (and may do yet) but in the old basket, we both got fed up fighting around each others shoes to get our own out.

Both sections have a piece of fitted carpet tile in them, to help dry damp shoes.

The gap in the top originally had an box file - minus its lid - which I hoped to cover but haven't yet done so. It may or may not end up in there. I am on the lookout for a shallow container, in blue, to put on the top of it just to finish it off.

This cupboard sits to the left of the dining room curtains which hides the bottom of them a little. That is where it needs to sit and we have gradually gotten used to it being there.

The ceramic and chrome handle (one of 5) cost £2.97 each and came from Homebase:

So all in all, the total cost for this box and its transformation was less than £10, even allowing for the petrol to get to Homebase!

10 comments:

  1. Love the idea of a fitted tile to absorb the damp, a great tip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The best ne inside is held in place so it doesn't move when shoes are pulled out. The top one needs a bit of double sided tape on it.

      Delete
  2. That seems a very good use of what I think would've been a potty cupboard! They were bedside tables and used to keep a chamber pot in side in the days before we had loos in the house and we didn't want to trot outside in the dead of night to the privy 'out back'.
    Margaret P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Could be but I remember these either side of beds in my childhood. Reading material was in the slot etc.

      Delete
    2. Yes, they were around in my childhood, too ... the 1950s ... but the design is for a potty, I assure you. I know houses that were built in the late 1940s after the war, especially council houses (as they were called then) that had a lavatory outside and even if they had an inside bathroom (a luxury for many in those days.) I had a little cupboard like that in a light wood, which was made post-war in a austerity style, but it had some glass on the top, too, and I had it as my bedside table and kept books in it.
      Margaret P

      Delete
  3. Lovely job and very useful. We probably all have stuff we could upcycle and give a new lease of life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. It works for what we need it for which is the main thing.

      Delete
  4. Great work and I love that handle !

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fabulous idea, pretty and practical xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely knob, if you'll pardon the expression!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you, will read all your comments and try and answer any questions you leave. Please leave comments in English. Don't forget to come back and read my reply! All comments are moderated so if you try to link it to a commercial web site, it will not be published.