Tuesday 15 August 2017

Kitchen windowsills

This time of year is when my kitchen windowsills start to have some of our harvest sitting on them. Sometimes it is tomatoes or chilli peppers, at the moment though, it is the windfall apples. Some are good some, despite a codling moth trap, have been attached by said creature and need eating asap.

I have (on its second rise), a loaf of rye bread which we will be amazed if it turns out okay. I just switched off whilst making it, picked up rye flour rather than the intended malt flour and also forgot the oil:

Update: the bread was fine!

Also here is my book stand being used to dry some gloves (used for preparing the chillies for the freezer) and the tea towel. To the right of the book stand is said windfall apples:

The next windowsill houses our fruit basket (currently empty), to the left of which are 3 good apples. The kitchen hand towel is also drying in the sun, along with a chopping board. I like to air these in the sun if possible, after washing, as I think the intense heat kills any bugs that might still be lurking on it:
Once the red pears begin to be harvested, these windowsills will fill very quickly.

Do you use yours like this?


10 comments:

  1. I would like to but there are no proper windowsills in this house. They're about 2inches wide and slope out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh dear, that would be difficult to balance things on.

      Delete
  2. We live in France and the sort of house we live in do not have window sills , both hubby and I miss them him for his plant cuttings and me for some where else to put my rubbish lol .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a shame? They can certainly become a magnet for rubbish.

      Delete
  3. My bedroom window sill is 5ft long and faces south so lots of fruit and vegetables have spent part of their lives on there or in the conservatory.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lovely. Unfortunately our longest window, at 6' is north facing.

      Delete
  4. No window sills here either!

    I'd love a couple for a houseplant or some flowers but it's not to be!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I must admit, I thought all windows had sills, how odd.

      Delete
  5. Can I ask where you buy malt flour from.carole

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Online from Shipton Mill or Real Foods.

      Delete

I love hearing from you, will read all your comments and try and answer any questions you leave. Please leave comments in English. Don't forget to come back and read my reply! All comments are moderated so if you try to link it to a commercial web site, it will not be published.