Friday 4 August 2017

Plum harvest - updated!

This is a very good year for us for plums. Our little Victoria tree is outdoing herself and we have already had two trays of plums:

Some have been de-stoned and put into the dehydrator:

My plan was to semi dehydrate them, then open freeze them so they go into the freezer as individuals. I am hoping that this will stop them being too mushy when I use them in winter. The flavour has intensified after this semi drying session and they are now in the freezer.

We picked more yesterday:

and reckon we will get this much again off this tree. The Czar plums (in the bowl), are not so full of fruit as it keeps getting attacked by aphids. They don't de-stone very well, so we are eating them as they ripen.

I need to process these new trays today so shall be busy. Have a great weekend everyone.

6 comments:

  1. I have plum envy. I don't have a garden, just a pebbled courtyard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dwarf fruit trees grow well in decent sized pots. My sister only had a courtyard but I encouraged her to grow small amounts of vegetables in old painted large tyres, stacked at different heights, worked very well.

      Delete
  2. Fantastic haul of plums. I can't wait to see what you do with them !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fab idea to dehydrate them before freezing. I get loads of plums from my mum's tree so will try this :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. My neighbour shouted out" You didn't tell me there were 4 branches hanging way into your garden?" I replied with a grin"Why do you think!" Then it dawned on him, they are laiden with plums.not a problem he said.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great harvest, I like the semi dehydrating idea xx

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you, will read all your comments and try and answer any questions you leave. Please leave comments in English. Don't forget to come back and read my reply! All comments are moderated so if you try to link it to a commercial web site, it will not be published.